Madrigal Feaste will enchant guests

By Megan Wise

This year marks the 37th annual Madrigal Feaste.

The Feaste is based on the period of Queen Elizabeth I of England, around the 1600s. Performers dress in period costumes as they sing, act and interact with guests.

The most select vocal ensemble on campus, The Chamber Singers, perform ceremonial music and madrigals, while the court jester and players entertain the audience during dinner and dessert, with a few surprises along the way.

Dr. Rowland Blackley is the music director and production supervisor for the feaste, ultimately responsible for all aspects of the production.

“I work with many other responsible, competent people who are in charge of food, tickets, costumes, lights, the theatrical troupe of players, the script and the set-up of Redwood Hall,” Blackley said.

Members of the Madrigal have been rehearsing for weeks, perfecting trumpet fanfares, a cappella music and comedic skits.

Senior Eddie Carney—the Jester, or leader of the Players—said students have been rehearsing since the beginning of the school year.

“The Chamber Singers began working on the pieces they perform as soon as school started and the Players rehearse their modernized fairy tale skits one to two times per week until the feaste premieres,” he said.

“The different songs the Chamber Singers perform are several traditional, ceremonial numbers one might find at Madrigal Feastes in other places,” says Blackley.

Other madrigals, which are Elizabethan love songs, are also performed. They are centered around unrequited love, found love and the beauties of nature.

A unique feature of the music is that all of the songs are performed in the language they were written: English, French, Italian and German this year.

For many students who perform in the feaste, this is one of the most rewarding experiences for them.

“For twenty minutes, you are on stage giving everything you have to get the audience to laugh, and they always love it,” Carney said.

Carney is involved in many things on campus but the Madrigal Feaste is by far his favorite.

“It is a festive and enjoyable evening for everyone,” Carney said. “There is a reason why this is the 37th annual feaste.

“Many important people involved with the university come and there are some people who have been to all thirty-six previous feastes,” he said.

Blackley said students should attend the Madrigal Feaste this year to experience something different and unique.

“Students [can] explore elements of a different culture from hundreds of years ago, eat a good meal, laugh really hard and hear some excellent, but probably unfamiliar music,” Blackley said.

Performances will be held from Nov. 28 through Dec. 2.