Being a leader on and off the court

By Andrea Stevenson

Resident Assistants see just about everything. Levi Rex, a Resident Assistant on the sixth floor of Amstutz, discovered something out of the ordinary in the bathroom shower on his floor.

One night he was sitting in his dorm room and heard a lot of commotion.

He looked out his door and saw his floor mates ducking in and out of doors.

Rex took a stroll around the floor to figure out what was going on, when one of his residents asked if he looked in the shower.

He figured there was going to be something terrible.

He finally found the courage to open the curtain to the handicap shower.

“What do you know there’s a motorcycle in the shower and I was relieved, but I was like what the heck is a motorcycle doing in the shower?” Rex said.

At first he didn’t know if the motorcycle was stolen or belonged to someone on the floor.

Turns out the motorcycle was on the side of the road with a “Free” sign attached to it, so they took it back down on the elevator and got rid of it.

Rex may be a leader in the dorm, but he is also a leader on the basketball court as well.

He doesn’t wear a jersey, high Nike socks or basketball shoes, but he wears a pair of slacks, a button up dress shirt, dress shoes, a tie and carries a clipboard. He sits on the bench with the Ashland University Women’s basketball team during every game, and attends every practice.

As the team’s student manager, he has numerous duties.

Getting basketballs and equipment ready, turning on lights and clocks, reviewing Coach Ramsey’s list of what practice will consist of that day, running the game and shot clock are just a few of what Rex does for practice.

The team only gets so many hours of practice a week, so Rex helps to make sure the team doesn’t go over.

Home games involve getting the bench bags ready, keeping a shot chart and cleaning up after.

Away games involve a little more work; he packs snacks, drinks, extra jerseys and plans all the meals for the team.

“I get the orders from all the girls for the restaurants, so that when we get there I can just call in the order ahead of time, we show up to the restaurant, all the meals are already sitting there ready for them so it’s a big time saver,” Rex said.

Rex has been a team manager for quite a while.

After being the student manager at Bath High school for four years, he knew he wanted to continue in college.

He earned the position at Ashland University and in total, has been a manager for seven years.

Between being a student manager and a Resident Assistant, Rex keeps himself busy.

In his spare time, he likes to hangout with friends and works on his homework and studies.

When asked about his plans after graduation next year, Rex mentioned working on a graduate degree at Ashland University.

He also hopes to get a position in the Athletic Department at the university with Al King.

Rex also wants to become the sports information director who works with all of the sports and the statistics of the athletics on campus.

“It’s good experience, I get in with the team and I get to know how everything works, and I’d like to be an athletic director some day, so this is really preparing me for that step,” Rex said.