Roommate 101

By Marin Haba

Sharing your space for the first time can be very difficult when starting college. Experiencing life with a roommate is a huge commitment that is often taken too lightly by students.

Communication is the number one way to survive your first college roommate. Learn as much as you can about your roommate before coming to school. This will allow you to get a good understanding of what they are like and find out their living habits.

“It is important to learn what type of person your roommate is compared to yourself, mainly so that you don’t have to have multiple conflicts with each other,” sophomore Jenna Patterson said.

Boundaries are crucial. What are you each willing to tolerate and when do you commonly put your foot down? Discussing these things can avoid potentially uncomfortable situations down the road.

“Learning about boundaries, like when boyfriends come to visit, and basically just asking first if it’s okay is something my roommate and I know to do. We also make sure we both clean up after ourselves and take turns doing dishes,” sophomore Shelby Gaydosh said.

Confrontation is crucial if an issue does present itself once you’ve moved in. Be respectful but make sure you can tell your roommate what is bugging you.

“If you’re annoyed with something your roommate is doing and don’t say something about it, then little things will build up and you guys could end up hating each other,” sophomore Angela Whitesel said.

If one is not willing to compromise, then your rooming situation was a lost cause from the beginning. If your roommate is not flexible in changing their ways, it is important to do what is best for you. Making the decision to move out is not always interpreted negatively, depending on how you handle it.

“I think if things aren’t everything you expected with your roommate, then moving out can actually salvage a relationship when you handle it with good intentions for yourself and also for them,” sophomore Adam Gunselman said.

Explain to your roommate that you feel things aren’t working out and you are unhappy. Reassure them that this is not a direct reflection of them. Let them know you would like to continue a friendship and there is no bad blood because the two of you weren’t a successful match.

“Ashland University wants all of their residents to be happy with their living environment even if it means moving into a different room. Sometimes a simple room change can make a person so much happier, and I would definitely encourage a resident to do what is best for them,” Amstutz Resident Assistant, Levi Rex said.

Changing roommate situations is a very simple process, despite what some students may think, and is a common occurrence. Residence life will be your go-to office in this situation. Residence Life is supportive of doing what’s best for the student, so don’t be afraid to visit their office if need be.

“Res Life was really easy to work with and they helped me find a new room quickly. I am thankful for their willingness to help me do what I felt was necessary,” junior Melanie Zeleznik said.

Take an open approach and put your best foot forward when starting a relationship with your roommate. Successful rooming situations have the potential to make lifelong friends.