Powder Puff game packs stadium

Rebecca Ribley

Light streamed onto the field, athletes began to stretch out and last minute arrivals stood in line to get eye black painted on their face. As players jumped around the field on this cool fall evening, it was obvious pre-game jitters had set in. 

The whistle was blown and both teams contracted into their respective huddles. All of this excitement could only mean one thing, The 2013 Powder-Puff Game.

Thursday night, Ashland University undergraduate woman who were nominated from a group on campus gathered together to play in the annual Rec Services event. 

The stands were full of supporters from organizations all over campus. 

Signs were made and the band even came out to the game to keep the women energized through their music. 

Senior Stefanie McArthur has been coming to the powder-puff games for four years. 

“I like coming to the game because a lot of my friends are playing and I like to support them. It also brings back memories from my high school powder-puff days,” she said. 

While many of the players spoke about the amazing opportunity it was to play with women from different organizations, it was clear that the game was more competitive than expected. 

Both the blue and the purple teams had planned practices the week before the game. Their coaches drew up plays and helped them work together to achieve the championship. 

Purple team head coach Chris Manthey attended the game in a full plaid suit hoping to set his team apart from the other. 

“On one of the first drives there was a shirt ripped and our starting safety has big claw marks all on her arm,” he said. “It’s competitive; sometimes you don’t think it will be but once they get out here it’s great. It’s a whole new atmosphere.”

After the game the excitement was energizing. Women from both teams came together to congratulate each other on completing another successful powder-puff game. 

Hugs were shared, pictures were taken and game stories began to spread. 

Manthey was extremely proud of the Purple team as they ended up winning the game Thursday night with a final score of 21-6. 

For some players this will be their final powder-puff game at AU. 

Two-time participant Val Fletcher is a senior. After losing last year she was thrilled to be on the winning team.

“I think we played really good for not knowing each other and just randomly meeting and playing together, I think we played awesome,” she said.

With a smile on his face, Manthey was proud of the win. 

“I don’t want to attribute the win to the suit but some of it probably goes to it.”