Fashion merchandising students hold Fashion Show

Marin Haba

Who thought that skeletons, witches and jokers could be fashionable? Fashion merchandising majors at Ashland University, that’s who! 

The Fashion Merchandising’s Halloween Fashion Show took place in Dauch’s lobby on Wednesday afternoon.

The College of Business and Economics (COBE) wanted to plan an open house event to give undecided majors, especially freshmen, information about what programs COBE has to offer. Associate professor of fashion merchandising Nancy Morris felt that majors and minors putting on this event would be great celebration to honor the first year the program is offered in the College of Business.

Morris required her students to design and make a unique costume that fit the theme of Halloween. This gave students the opportunity to really be creative and tip off the holiday season by getting campus excited about their own costumes. 

Senior Hannah Smith channeled her creativity to get the ideas for the two costumes she designed for the show. The piece of hers that she wore was inspired by her love for the movie “Black Swan,” and tied together with her passion for dance. 

Smith’s second costume was worn by junior Shelby Gaydosh. 

“The inspiration for Shelby’s costume came from the Broadway show, ‘Wicked,’” Smith said. “I love ‘Wicked’ and I love Glinda. I chose Shelby as my model because she is so pretty and has blonde hair just like Glinda.” 

The outfit Gaydosh displayed was created from an old wedding dress Smith stumbled upon in a local Goodwill store. Smith spent between 12 and 15 hours to execute the vision she had for the costume. Blue tule and rhinestones were both a part of the final piece. 

Despite her nerves and fear of falling, Gaydosh agreed to walk in the show.

“I was honored to be a part of the fashion show and wear Hannah’s dress because she did such a great job designing it. I really felt like I played the role of Glinda.” 

Fifteen fashion merchandising students designed outfits for the show. Twenty-six students served as talent to model all of the hard work and time put into the costumes. 

Those who attended the Halloween Fashion Show were given information about any of the majors offered in the College of Business and Economics. The new fashion classroom was open for students interested in that area of study specifically. 

Fashion majors were available to answer questions, and faculty members were present to interact with students in an informal atmosphere. 

The men and women who participated in the fashion show walked two different times for the event. Morris was very pleased with the overall product of the show and the creativity of her students. 

“I think it went great. It’s so fun to see the finished outfits when you see what they started with,” Morris said. “One girl started with a pillow case and ended up with a costume.”

This was the first time the Halloween Fashion Show had been put on at AU. Given its success, it is likely to become a tradition in the future.