Jazz at the Nest packs them in

Audrey Art

Before the concert, Jazz at the Nest, black pedestals with “AU Jazz” written elegantly on them in red sat vacant. Ashland University students walked around them in Eagles Nest as if they were no more than a minor inconvenience and the night went on as usual. But by the time 7:30 p.m. rolled around Eagles Nest looked like an entirely different place. The room was bursting with relatives of the musicians, AU students and fans of jazz. Because of the lack of free seats, people who were forced to share tables introduced themselves. An older woman sporting a cheetah print cane was united with her group, AU students stood by the condiments making small talk and yellow information pamphlets flashed in hands dispersed around the room. 

Finally, Scott Garlock, the director of the AU jazz orchestra, made his way to the front of the room. Garlock, who has been working at a collegiate level for over 20 years, welcomed the audience with a comic introduction of himself and the band and the opening number began. “Fascinating Rhythm” was interrupted by an Eagles Nest employee shouting, “41, 42, 43, 45, 49, 56!” over the loudspeaker. The band played on and embarrassed students picked up their cheeseburgers and quesadillas. Nonetheless, saxophones belted out their smooth rhythms, trombone players slid their brass bars back and forth and the trumpets and rhythm section kept the attention more on the band and less on the Eagles Nest employee. 

Eric Nalborski doesn’t attend AU but was visiting his girlfriend Alex Johnson. They stopped by Eagles Nest for sandwiches and were caught in the middle of the concert. 

Eric said, “I definitely didn’t expect it, it’s kind of a weird place for a jazz concert, but I thought they sounded really good.” 

Alex agreed, “We didn’t stay long because we had somewhere to be but I might have stayed to hear Beauty and the Beast if I wasn’t in a hurry!” 

She particularly liked the vocal workings of Katie Mounts during “I’m Beginning to See the Light” however; she didn’t have a chance to hear Fatima Smith who was also very talented. 

Michael Byndas, AU student and member of the AU jazz orchestra was catching up with his roommate, Jerry Jansen and friend, Jared Clemence during the intermission between songs. “I play lead alto sax,” he said. Although Janson doesn’t “necessarily” like jazz, he came to support his friend anyways. “I’m his roommate,” said Jansen. “I played jazz with him in high school,” mentioned Clemence, “so I’ve gotten used to listening to jazz.” 

Before the performance, the jazz orchestra was gathered outside Eagles Nest, when questioned Byndas stressed, “it’s just a ritual we do… top secret,” “But you were doing it in public!” offered a passerby. Byndas was called back to his seat to continue the concert. “We don’t miss anything,” said jazz fan Jim Gilbert who attended the concert decked out in AU attire with Madeline Cole. They hadn’t come to see anyone in particular, he said, “We just like jazz.”  

Suddenly, Garlock was speaking confidently into the microphone, “I’m pleased with how hard we’re working,” he said, “I like to give them songs that will challenge them, but it’s going to be much, much better as we go on.” 

And with that, the band started up again, filling the room with the complimentary workings of six saxophones, seven trombones, five trumpets and two drummers.