Group on campus offers diversity: Newman Catholic Campus Ministries encourages students to get involved

Melanie Sudar

From athletics to Greeks, and academics to arts, Ashland University offers many different organizations for its students. There are many extra curricular activities that students can be involved with, some with specific purposes and others solely for students who need a group of friends. Newman Catholic Campus Ministries is one of those groups; provided for any student who doesn’t really know what they need yet.

“I would say that people are on a lot of journeys when they come into college, and you’re here for four years at this crossroads where you kind of discern what direction you’re taking in life,” said Nate Addington, Campus Minister at AU. “I think Newman is a group that says you don’t have to make those decisions by yourself.” 

Newman is the Catholic group on campus and provides students with weekly Mass (offered Sunday nights at 9:30 p.m. in the chapel), “Newman Nights” on Monday nights at 6:30 p.m. in lower chapel, small groups, service opportunities, spiritual direction and retreats. 

“We also just have social opportunities,” said Father Vince Hawk, other Campus Minister and primary Catholic priest on campus. “We just come together as friends. We call them ‘agenda-less nights.’ There’s no real plans. Sometimes games break out, sometimes discussion break out, but there’s no real plan.” 

Addington and Hawk head Newman, however a group known as the Leadership Council made up of AU students mainly runs everything. With positions ranging from Service Chair to Student Campus Intern, these roughly six “chairs” head committees to keep Newman intact. They meet once a week and brainstorm ideas to make sure the ministry is doing all that it can to be its best. 

“As I see that overall structure… Nate and I are here to be able to make sure there’s a framework for the ministry to happen within,” Hawk said. “We’re facilitators. It’s not that we have all the answers; it’s not that we know how to do this, but one of our goals is to help students develop into great leaders.”   

Addington agreed and said that being with the students during this time is nothing short of amazing. 

“My favorite part of Newman is the people,” he said. “Meeting students at this crucial time in their lives and watching them accomplish things they never thought possible.”

Senior Christopher Goffos was the Student Campus Intern last semester and serves as the “guide” for this semester. Having been a part of Newman since his sophomore year, Goffos mainly offers his experience this semester. 

“It’s my job to kind of look back on the past four years and see where we can improve and see what things we can do to grow as a ministry so we can reach more people,” he said. “And serve as the person who kind of gives those ideas to younger council members so they can implement ideas in the future.”

Although Newman does a lot on campus and with the Ashland community, there is also one large service trip taken every year. This year, the group will travel to Nicaragua over spring break to assist in construction of an orphanage for special needs children. The 14 students have been busily fundraising, and Addington said he is excited. 

“Each month there’s a new service project that reflects one of the corporal or spiritual works of mercy,” he said. “And then we do two service projects, this year we’re going to Nicaragua. And last year we started a local trip in Columbus and we’re hoping to repeat that this year. [But] this spring semester I am looking forward to our trip to Nicaragua, which is the largest trip we have lead so far.” 

Junior Alyssa Szpalik is taking over Goffos’s position as Student Campus Intern and encourages students to come to Newman in any way they may feel comfortable. She said there is a lot to offer. 

“It’s a welcoming community no matter what your background is,” she said. “You grow in your faith, you meet new friends, there’s good food, and you really discover who you are a person.” 

Goffos agreed and said that his favorite part about Newman is the people. 

“I think this is the one group on campus where I don’t feel judged; that I don’t feel unwelcome for any reason,” he said. “I think the people that are here want to be here because they all know they’re sinners and they all know they have struggles in their lives. They also know that’s okay because everyone else has those struggles, too. So, I’m glad to be a part of this group because it’s helped me along my faith journey and I have no regrets about that.” 

With so many opportunities through Newman, Addington and Hawk believe there is something for everyone. Addington said the group is unique to campus and said students should participate because it’s something intangible. 

“Students should come to Newman because I think we offer something different than the other groups on campus,” he said. “We pull in students from so many different areas that wouldn’t normally associate with each other, for one reason or another, and that diversity makes us a healthy community that accepts people where they are for who they are.”