Making the most of your last semester

Rebecca Ribley

Four years of college flies by. One second you’re moving into your first dorm and the next you are walking down the aisle at commencement. While you might think that college is all about getting the best grades possible and only worrying about school work, there is so much more. As a senior you look back on the past semesters and realize that your time as an undergrad is limited. No more living in sweats, eating junk food at 2 a.m.,  no living with your best friends in walking distance and definitely no more naps.

In talking to both current seniors and alumni, these five tips are imperative to making your final semester the best it can be. 

Step 1- Rest up.

“It’s going to be important to make time for relaxation,” said Senior Emily Jeppesen.

In a couple of months seniors will be entering the real world. They will, hopefully, have full time jobs and some may have to work weekends. 

This semester is the time to make up for all of the naps that you will not have time to take as a grown up. Sleep in, take naps and become well rested. The real world will be knocking on your door very soon.

Step 2- Get out.

“Growing up means having to make good choices, so make bad ones while you still can,” said alumni Ashley Achauer.

It’s not a mystery that college students like to go out and have a few drinks. Have fun, go out on Wednesday nights for karaoke and never miss a Thursday night out on the town. You are 21;  so drink with friends, drink with enemies and drink to make the memories that you will tell you kids about. But, make sure you aren’t drinking too much or those memories might be pretty fuzzy in the future.

Step 3- Be adventurous.

“A students time at AU is limited so be the reason they put that metal plate on CFA to block students from climbing the roof,” added alumni Austin Arnold. 

Yes, there actually are some fun things to do on campus. Although they might not be permitted through university standards, get creative. We have all heard stories about “people” jumping in the fountain or climbing CFA. It’s times like these that students will never forget.

Step 4- Friends. 

“I’m going to spend time with the people that I care about most,” said senior Christian Neely.

Through all of the interviews I did for this article, this step was the most mentioned. 

These are some of the last times you will have everyone you have grown so close with. Some friends will be moving home, others across the country. 

When you think you have too much homework to go hangout in a friends’ apartment or you are too tired to go to Denny’s at 2 a.m., do it anyway. You’ll regret the times that you didn’t spend with them when you are sitting in your parent’s basement trying not to fall asleep at 8 p.m. in a couple of months. 

Step 5- Don’t sweat the small stuff.

“Don’t let the stress bother you, things will work out how they’re supposed to,” commented alumni Gabby Carsey. 

While applying for jobs and getting good grades your last semester is very important, don’t let them consume your life. In talking to recent grads, some with jobs and some without, they all agree that things will eventually work out. 

If you are constantly worried about those things you will not be able to do any of the steps that I previously talked about which will in turn make your last semester lame.

In the words of the great Mark Twain “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the things that you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sail. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

Now it’s time to put these steps to good use. Seniors, enjoy your last semester and undergrads cut this out and save it for when you are in their shoes.