AU students volunteer while on spring break

Melanie Sudar

Spring break is a time for relaxation, sun tanning, and no school. But for some students, spring break was a time for international trips and helping others. 

Senior Beth Rosepal went to North Carolina this spring break with 29 other Ashland University students and faculty to build a house through Habitat for Humanity. This was her fourth trip through Habitat and said that it is something that is very important to her. 

“This organization holds such a special place in my heart for a variety of reasons,” she said. “I mainly got interested in this organization because [my] dad used to roof part time when I was little so I thought it would be something we could connect on. Then after my first trip I was hooked instantly. The people you build for are so incredibly shocked and grateful that you give up their spring break to build their house, that it’s hard not to get addicted.”

Another trip that took place this spring break was to the Dominican Republic. There was a total of 10 students and faculty that travelled internationally to medically and spiritually care for the people of Juan Tomas. 

Senior Ben Boerner went on the trip and spoke very highly of the experience. 

“When I saw that this mission trip would also be a medical one, I knew this was the opportunity I was waiting for,” he said. “I accomplished all my goals and am so thankful and blessed to have made the trip.”

Boerner said he went on the trip because he had always been something he has wanted to do. 

“I have always wanted to go on a mission trip,” he said. “Seeing the world for what it really is not just from the window of a five star hotel has always been a goal of mine. I hoped that I would come home with more appreciation for the USA and continue to build my relationship with God.”

Rosepal said her favorite part of the trip was the variety of things the group did while in North Carolina. In past years, the groups would build a single house at a single site. However, this year, Rosepal said things were different. 

“I loved that one day I got to kick in a wall with my steel-toed shoes and then another day I got to help put the foundation down for a house,” she said. “It truly was awesome to be able to touch several houses while on this trip.” 

Boerner agreed and said that he was also thrilled with the amount of work his group did on the trip as well. 

“The main things we did were: we held a medical triage clinic for four days seeing all ages. We saw over 1600 patients and help them the best we could,” he said. “Every morning we had bible study with the entire Ashland group. We also attended church service three times while were there. One day we went into the city of Santo Domingo to explore its history and enjoy pizza. I was able to milk a goat for the first time in my life. We tried new foods, learned as much Spanish as we could and bonded with the people of Juan Tomas making lifelong friends.” 

Rosepal also said one of her favorite parts of the trip were the friends she made. She said the attitude of the group that she went with made the trip completely worthwhile. 

“Every trip has been different and has brought so many different people and each year was a blast,” she said. “I have never met a more positive, flexible, and hilarious group of people. 

Even though this wasn’t a typical Habitat trip, the fact that most of the group was new and they were so positive really made this trip the best one I have ever been on. Attitude is everything and without this group’s amazing attitude this trip could have easily been a total bust.”

Sophomore Kim Potter agreed. Potter was part of the Newman trip to Nicaragua. She and 15 other AU students and faculty spent a week working at an orphanage for special needs children and Potter said one of the best parts of the trip were the people she went with. 

“I have grown closer to everyone on the trip tenfold and I really feel closer to God and more involved with my faith than I had previously,” she said. “It’s also made me think about doing mission work after college to really spread the gospel to those in need and to help make a difference in the world.”

Sophomore Jesse Ireland also attended the Nicaragua trip. 

Nicaragua was Ireland’s second international mission trip and said the trip is definitely something to experience. 

“I would highly encourage others on going on this trip or a mission trip like this,” he said. “It is very rewarding and your eyes are really opened up to how some cultures live.”

Potter agreed and said that the trip has also helped shape her future. 

“I think that even if you’re not a religious person and have no idea what you believe, going on a mission trip like this will really open your eyes to a whole different way of life,” she said. 

“It made me truly thankful for the blessings I take for granted and sparked a fire which will take me forward into my future years of service.”