Annual Greek competition brings unity

Recruitment at Ashland was successful this year, setting a record for most women signed up and a high number of pledges for fraternities. 

Melanie Sudar

Every year, the Greek community at Ashland University puts aside their differences and comes together for a weekend of games, fun and unity. 

Although the different chapters on campus are still competing against one another, there is still a sense of camaraderie between the AU sororities and fraternities during this annual weekend known as Greek Week. 

“My favorite part of Greek Week is getting everyone together and seeing all of us in one place,” said Emily Erdelac. 

“Our Greek Life has expanded so much that there is over 400 of us now! It’s so cool to see us all together and participating in something’s as a Greek community.”

Erdelac is the vice president of programming for Panhellenic Council, and, with the help of her partner Casey Neer, plans Greek Week. 

This year, Greek Week will start with a bonfire on Thursday, April 10 and end with Greek Honors on Sunday, April 13. 

Each day of the weekend is packed with activities for all chapters to compete in. 

This year, the theme for the weekend is “Scare Games: Monsters University.” 

Neer said the theme makes this year a little different from past years. 

He said taking a movie with “Greek” already in it made the planning process a little easier. 

“This is the first time we have used a movie theme that actually had a Greek Week in the movie,” he said. “Although we can’t match what they do in the movie, we have taken ideas from it and made it our own.”

Thursday night will begin the weekend with a bonfire and a showing of Monsters University. Friday night will be the annual game show, consisting of games such as Family Feud, Big/Little Game, Jeopardy, and other games related to Monsters University. Saturday is the all-day event involving an obstacle course, tug-of-war, swimming, volleyball, and other indoor and outdoor games. 

Neer said Greek Week is a time for all of the chapters to come together and that he is excited for the healthy competition. 

“Although we do compete against each other, it is an event that gets the entire community together to socialize and have fun,” he said. “During the year we all have our own house or suite and we tend to stick close to our own brothers or sisters. Greek Week presents some healthy competition and an excuses for all of us to hang out with each other.”

Erdelac agreed. She said Greek Weekend brings community to the different Greek chapters.

“Students can look forward to getting to not only hangout with their chapters all weekend, but to be surrounded by the Greek community,” she said. “We are all competing against each other, but in the end we are one big community that represents so much more than just ourselves.” 

Planning for Greek Week began back in January and both Erdalec and Neer said it consisted of many meetings and a lot of work. 

“We started small and got bigger and bigger,” Erdalec said. 

The two also said they are excited for the weekend to begin and for the events to come together.

“I’m most looking forward to seeing all of our hard work pay off,” Erdalec said. “I hope everyone is excited and ready to have some fun because that what all Casey and I’s hard work was for.”

Erdalec said Greek Week is important because it shows AU’s campus what Greek Life is all about. 

“I think that Greek week is important because it allows us to show campus how awesome the Greek system is,” she said. “It shows that even though we all have different letters that we are a united front known as Greek life. We come together to compete, but at Greek honors we all clap and cheer for all the chapters as they win different awards.”