Ashland Center of Nonviolence creates scholarship program

Hannah Predojev

The Ashland Center for Nonviolence has created a merit-based scholarship program for AU students. This will allow individuals to become more involved in learning about nonviolence, the ethics of peace and war, injustice, and civil rights in the classroom- through workshops, and other training opportunities. Some students choose to work as “mediators” for ACN’s community-based mediation program, called T.A.L.K., in which individuals attempt to solve disputes in a peaceful manner. Students also attend conferences, watch movies regarding nonviolence, race, religion, and justice together, and help others throughout the local community. Overall, the scholarship program offers students $1,000 per year and is renewable up to four years. Anyone who is an incoming freshman or older can apply and fill out the application online, which includes a 500 word essay. Executive Director of ACN and Religion Professor Craig Hovey acknowledged the various types of classes students take for the scholar program.

“They can study any major and they will minor in ethics, which is five classes and it is one of those minors that is pretty easy to fit into your schedule if you are careful about selecting core classes. Many of those classes will have content relating to peace and nonviolence,” Hovey said.

Scholars will acquire an ample number of skills that can be used outside of the classroom. Some skills include listening and communicating effectively for resolving conflicts, especially by attending carefully to the interests of various parties. Sophomore and ACN intern Emily Wirtz covers a vast majority of the Center’s social media work and assists with event planning and blogging. She described why she is passionate about ACN and why she encourages others to become involved.

“I think it is a lot of fun, being involved with [ACN]. Besides the fact that I am learning about all these issues that I had no idea were going on in high school, the events that we have really broadened my perspective on the world. Even just our movie screenings that we have been doing, the speakers, the flyers, and the articles that we post, it is eye opening. I think that is the most important aspect,” Wirtz said.  

Hovey explained how ACN is different from other organizations and how students are involved not only on campus, but off campus around the community as well. 

“We are a bit unique at Ashland University in terms of having one foot in the community and having one foot on campus. We are based on campus and a number of our committee members are AU people. But a number are also community members. We do a lot with community; education; and outreach,” Hovey said.

For students in the scholar program, incoming freshmen 

will live in Clayton with the Honors Scholars for their first year. Then, after their freshman year, one can choose where they want to live for their remaining years. Wirtz noted how ACN has impacted her life tremendously and contributes to the Ashland community. 

“I came from Youngstown, so I am used to [the] “big-city” kind of feel, and I came here and I wasn’t expecting to find an organization like [this],” Wirtz said. “To find this little gem of an organization here was really a gift. There are organizations that have sections for human trafficking, and sections for diversity, and non-race violence. The Ashland Center kind of combines all of that and we try to just accumulate people that are interested in maybe, one of those things and then they get interested in all of those issues and that’s just kind of how we have been growing and expanding recently,” 

Legendary activists such as Arun Gandhi and Yolanda King have come to speak at Ashland University, with the most recent speaker being C.T. Vivian for ACN. Near the end of March, ACN will hold their first annual conference. The theme is “Challenges to Nonviolence” and all students are encouraged to attend. The ACN hopes to continue expanding and making a positive impact on students. ACN scholars program is currently accepting applications for the fall.