Seven take first in All-Ohio Championships

Bailey Bretz

The men and women’s track team finished in the top three in the All-Ohio Track and Field Championships at Miami University this weekend.

The men came in second place with 138.5 points, just behind Ohio State with 140 points, while the women finished in third with 106 points. 

Ohio State had 107 and Miami scored 152. Both OSU and Miami are in Division I.

Head coach Jud Logan was pleased with the outcome of the meet. 

“It was our best outdoor meet of the year,” said Logan. “Quite a few individual champions and NCAA provisional qualifiers.”

In total, there were seven first place finishes for the Eagles. There were six runner-ups as well.

Junior Elijha Owens was involved in three of AU’s first places. Owens won the 110 meter hurdles with a time of 14.2 seconds and the 400 meter hurdles in 51.83 seconds.

Owens was also part of the 4×400 meter relay team that finished first with a time of 3:11.83. The team was made up of Owens, freshman Halen Witcher, senior Jacob Cook and senior Drew Windle.

The men had two other first place finishes. 

Windle won the 800-meter run in 1:47.80 and junior Nick Hall won the 1500-meter run in three minutes and 52.7 seconds.

Junior Eric Thompkins finished second in the 100-meter dash in 10.78 seconds. Thompkins was also ran with the 4×100 meter relay team that finished second. Also on the team were Owens, Witcher and junior Brandon Freeman.

The hammer throw was an impressive competition for the men, as they owned four of the top five throws. Sophomore Jordan Crayon finished second, 63.08 meters, senior Jared Conklin was third, 62.6 meters, senior Mark Taylor was fourth, 61.49 meters, and freshman Clayton Jury was fifth with a 58.9 meter throw.

Ashland’s women had two athletes who ended up placing first. 

Senior Jessica Bridenthal won the hammer throw with a distance of 58.62 meters.

Freshman Irene Skinner won the 400-meter dash in 55.99 seconds. Skinner also finished third in the 200-meter dash with a 25.53 second time.

Senior Shatora Lewis, junior Jamie Sindelar and sophomore Marlecia Holston all had second place finishes.

Lewis had a throw of 45.72 meters in the discus. In the shot put, Sindelar had a throw of 16.12 meters. Holston’s score for the triple jump was 10.76 meters.

In the pole vault, junior Meghan Cunningham finished third, reaching 3.55 meters.

Logan believes that this performance will help for the future. 

“It was a good stepping stone towards building for GLIACs,” said Logan.

The Walsh Invitational is next on the schedule for the AU track and field team, which starts on Friday.