AU students raise money for St. Jude

Hannah Predojev

Ashton Kutcher, Betty White, Emma Roberts, Jennifer Aniston, Matthew McConaughey, and Sofia Vergara- what do all of these notorious celebrities have in common? 

Besides being successful, talented actors and actresses, these noteworthy people among countless others have brought awareness to an organization that hits home with families nationwide. 

St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, a non-profit organization that was founded in 1962 by Danny Thomas, which is located in Memphis, Tennessee, was created to help find cures for children with cancer and other life-threatening aliments. 

For Ashland University’s Greek Life, St. Jude is their all-Greek philanthropy, and individuals host a variety of fundraising events and activities throughout the year in order to raise money for the organization. 

Last year, AU raised $30,000 for St. Jude. This year, the goal is to raise $50,000. So far, $19,000 has been raised. AU students can give themselves a pat on the back, as AU is the second most-popular school in Ohio to raise the most money for St. Jude. 

Senior Fashion Merchandising major and Side-Events Chair, Gabrielle Vitel, commented on how she loves being a part of something so special. She explained how the board continues to strive to become bigger and better each year by hosting engaging activities for students. 

“Each year, there is a new board with new members and a variety of positions. We try to be more creative [and] more innovative than the previous years. Since St. Jude has only been on our campus for almost ten years, we have not had a set-in-stone event besides ‘Up til Dawn,’ which is our big event that we do every year,” Vitel said. 

Junior Accounting major and Executive Director, Adam Spooner, served as the Greek Life Chairmen last year. He has been an active member on the St. Jude Executive Board for two years. He acknowledged that everyone can relate to St. Jude along with what the organization hopes to accomplish in some way or another. 

“I think that [others] should donate, because with this being a newer generation, it is a generation known to be more giving. This is a great cause to give back to. By spreading awareness and raising money together as a campus, brings us together as a whole; we have something to relate to one another on. You do not know who has what background with different types of cancer- whether it is a family member, a friend, a parent, a sister, [or even] a brother. It brings us all together and unites us,” Spooner said.

Eating mouth-watering, buttery pancakes or cheesy, gooey pizza, playing intense games of dodge ball with friends, and lip sync performances are just some of the activities that the board created for students to enjoy. Not only does one have the opportunity to make new memories, but also they can leave the event knowing that the money that they contributed is going to make a difference in a child’s life. Vitel noted how the board’s annual event, ‘Up till Dawn’ represents much more than just pulling an all-nighter.

“What ‘Up til Dawn’ does, is that we are put in the shoes of a child that is in the hospital. All of the nurses and everyone who is staffed in the research hospital is doing fun [activities]. We take inspiration from them and do games and stuff like that,” Vitel said. 

Spooner commented on the fact that this organization is a huge part of his life and how he is determined to make a difference for the children of St. Jude.

“When I was younger, one of my best friends was diagnosed with cancer and he lost his leg because of it. To this day, it still affects him. I joined St. Jude because seeing how strong he was through that [experience] really motivated me to help other children and families overcome [their struggles.] Every time I see him and his parents, they are always so thankful that myself as well as his other friends have always been by his side. It was really tough for him growing up without a leg; he could not [participate in] sports or anything that normal kids could,” Spooner said.

Vitel acknowledged how all members of the board are extremely passionate about helping the children of St. Jude. They also want to continue encouraging Ashland University students to become more active in the cause as well. “We want to build awareness for the cause. We assume that everyone knows about St. Jude but before being on the board, I did not really understand [it]. That is why we are trying to do the smaller events; to get the name out there to more than just Greek Life. The idea is that if you are not involved in Greek Life, you do not know, and we do not want that to be the case; it is a wonderful cause that more people should know about. Even if [people] do not care to donate, at least understand and appreciate the work that we are doing for [this cause],” Vitel said. 

Spooner explained how on the board, everyone acts as a community and is always there for each other. 

“We all work together as a whole; no one does [a] job by themselves. Even myself being Executive Director, we all help each other out,” Spooner said.

The board hosts a new activity for students each month, leading up to ‘Up til Dawn’ in February. Their next event is the ‘St. Jude Turkey Trot 5K Fun Run’ on Saturday, November 21st with registration beginning at 8 a.m. in the Quad. For the first 50 participants who arrive early, will get a free tee shirt. 

All Ashland students and community members are encouraged to attend- pets are allowed as well. For more information on how one can get involved or donate to St. Jude, visit https://www.facebook.com/st.jude.au/.