Have Mercy! Full House spinoff to appear on Netflix in February

Hannah Predojev

Full House was the heartfelt, family-friendly 90’s sitcom that made individuals gather around, anxiously awaiting for their favorite television program to begin. The show left behind a legacy that is now reborn almost 20 years later.

You got it, dude. Full House will release a spinoff named “Fuller House.” Almost all of the original cast members will be returning, including Andrea Barber, who plays Kimmy Gibler—DJ’s best friend, Bob Saget, who plays Danny—the quirky father of the Tanner household, Candace Cameron Bure, who plays DJ—the oldest of the Tanner siblings, and Dave Coulier, who plays Uncle Joey—the family’s comedian.

Along with Jodie Sweetin, who plays Stephanie—the second oldest of the Tanner siblings, John Stamos, who plays Uncle Jesse—the Greek heartthrob with the perfectly moussed hair, and Lori Loughlin, who plays Becky—the girls’ insanely cool aunt.

Oh, and for those wondering, Mr. Woodchuck is going to be featured as well.

After much speculation, it has been confirmed through multiple sources that both of the Olsen twins, Mary-Kate and Ashley, will not be returning to play the role of Michelle.

Junior Jamie Morris, a Dietetics major at AU, acknowledged why she believes the Olsen twins will not be returning to play the iconic role of Michelle Tanner.

“I was kind of mad about that. They were very important to the show,” said Morris. “Their [personal] reasons for being on the show are very selfish. I do not understand why they would not make time for that.”

Even without the Olsen twins’ appearances, the cast is just as close today as they were back then.

The original series ran from 1987 until 1995, producing eight seasons overall.

Junior Alexis Crouse, a Fashion Merchandising major, described what her favorite episode was in the popular series.

“I liked when they went to Disneyworld,” said Crouse. “I thought it was interesting that [the family] took everyone on vacation and did not just keep them in California.”

Junior Kayleen Samuels, a Criminal Justice and Psychology major, acknowledged how the television show left a lasting impression on both children and adults.

“I think for the time that it was on, it was a very family-friendly show,” explained Samuels. “For kids especially, there was a [moral] lesson at the end of each show, which was different.”

Freshman Bryce Mcclish, a Psychology and Business Management major, also discussed why he believes this show was unlike any other he had seen as a child growing up in the 90’s.

“I think it was more of a realistic [television] show,” said Mcclish. “It was one of the first that brought another family into your home.”

The premise of the spinoff is about DJ, a recent widow, who has three boys to take care of and is struggling to adjust to single-parenting life on her own. She decides to move back into the Tanner family’s old San Francisco home with the help of Kimmy and Stephanie.

Sophomore Brittany Ehlert divulged that the episode that remained very memorable to her includes the one where Michelle went horseback riding and had temporary amnesia. She also noted why she has some reservations for the success of the spinoff.

“I am afraid that this [spinoff] could possibly ruin the original series,” Ehlert said. “I really wish one of the Olsen twins were [going] to be on it. I am curious to see how they are going to play it out with little Michelle not being there.”

Freshman Armando Ventosa was a fan of the show growing up, although as far as the spinoff is concerned, he does not think that he will partake in binge watching like the rest of America.

“Honestly, I do not think that I would watch [the spinoff] because I really just like the classics,” said Ventosa.

Freshman Waylon O’Donnell, a Theatre major, enjoyed watching every Saturday as part of his morning ritual. He thinks that the show will still have a successful first season, despite the lack of the Olsen twins.

“I do not think that it will affect the ratings too much, because people are going to watch it if they want to,” said O’Donnell. “I think that it [the show] will be alright and will be able to purse its [good] name even without [these] actresses.”

The first season of Fuller House will appear on Netflix on Feb. 26.