My view: the benefits of getting involved

Hannah Predojev

Being a freshman is new, exciting, nerve-wracking, and at times, overwhelming. I still remember freshman year like it was yesterday: flustered and unfamiliar with what campus had to offer, I was grateful when I discovered the involvement fair here on campus.

I felt like the involvement fair had given me direction.

Sure, I was actively involved in track, debate club, art club, recycling club, and working for my school newspaper, but I knew once I arrived at college, the doors of opportunity would be held open even wider.

With so many extracurricular activities and organizations to join during his or her free time, the most successful and involved students thoroughly evaluate all their different options of extracurriculars and organizations before committing to 18 clubs and playing three sports, and still expecting to rock a steady 4.0 GPA.

Eventually, the pressure to maintain a busy social life, get good grades, and take up hobbies could become too much.

Remember, while college is hard work, it is also supposed to be the best time of your life.

Whether you have a passion for art or theatre, sports, Greek Life, doing volunteer work, or even learning about different cultures and world languages, there is something for everyone at Ashland University.

To help you decide what you are interested in joining, AU has provided students with the chance to attend their annual involvement fair.

If you have always wanted to show off fancy Greek letter apparel, be part of a huge family, and give back to the community through social events and activities, then joining a fraternity or sorority may be for you.

“[Students] should go check out the involvement fair to not only get more information on Greek Life here at Ashland, but also [to see] what other amazing clubs and organizations we have to offer that will really make this place feel like a home-away- from-home,” said Greek Life and Student Leadership Intern Adam Spooner. “By getting involved on campus, you will meet many new people and make many new friends that will really ease the stress of transitioning to college.”  

For men, recruitment begins September 3 and will run through September 17. For women, recruitment begins September 15 and will run through September 17.

Greek interest night will be held on Aug. 28 from 9-11 p.m. in the Rec Center. It will feature tasty food, fun games, and knowledgeable representatives from every chapter on campus to help answer any questions or concerns students may have about recruitment.

The involvement fair is taking place on Aug. 29 from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. in Upper Convo.

“Freshmen can go to any Greek-affiliated member for more information on recruitment, or they can contact Cassie Cunningham for women’s recruitment [and] Will Fowler for men’s recruitment,” said Spooner. “There are also signs posted around campus with dates and times of recruitment events as well as contact information.”

Remember to stay open-minded to new experiences. College is all about trying new things to see what you like and Greek Life might be one of them.

You will meet new people, take on all sorts of character-building challenges, and be a part of something wonderful. You will wear your Greek letters proudly alongside your brothers or sisters, and make many amazing memories to last a lifetime.