AU welcomes students back with smoothie truck

Hannah Predojev

Aloha, e komo mai. In case you were tempted to grab the dictionary, it reads: “Hello, and welcome. Come inside.”

Ashland University students were in for a sweet, Hawaiian surprise on their first day back to campus.

The Maui Wowi Hawaiian Coffees & Smoothies truck gave out free fruit and coffee smoothies next to the Patterson Instructional Technology Center.

Established by Jeff and Jill Summerhays in 1982, the popular smoothie truck has been part of a successful franchise for over 30 years.

Owner and operator Keith Mitchell is part of the beloved franchise and sells the gourmet Hawaiian-inspired drinks.

“A lot of kids, [specifically] freshman, are stressed out; [this] gives them a break,” Mitchell said.

The truck offered a variety of beverages including fresh fruit smoothies with many unique flavors, tropical teas, warm hot chocolate, flavorful shaved ice, and creamy coffee-related creations that are sure to give you that extra jolt needed to take on the day.

Mitchell said the mango-orange smoothie was the favorite among the students.

“It is [basically] a vacation in a cup, that is the way I look at it,“ said Mitchell. “We have a little bit of a beach attitude [mixed with] a Hawaiian personality.”

The truck has permanent locations at the University of Michigan, and in Cincinnati at Xavier University.

They company hopes to expand to more locations across the country soon.