How to: deal with getting locked out

Hannah Predojev

It is currently 4 a.m. and I am sitting in a worn leather chair at the school library, prepping for my exam. After a long night of too much espresso and what feels like 100 written notecards later, I am exhausted and ready for bed. So, gathering my things, I slowly moved like the dead zombie I was, back to my dorm.

Realizing I do not have my room key, I tried not to panic. “Breathe,” I told myself, while a knot had begun to form in the pit of my stomach anyways. Would I have to sleep outside on the Founder’s Lawn? Would I be forever known as “that silly freshman girl” who misplaced her key the first month of school?

And then it hit me: I did not have to become homeless, sleeping outside with what was soon to become my adorable forest companions. Honestly, Snow White and I probably would be great friends, but with my big exam coming up in a few hours, I was not in the mood to sleep anywhere but my precious bed.

I remembered Safety Services was available to offer help to those in need 24 hours a day, seven days a week. I quickly dialed the number, and five minutes later, a man appeared with a beautiful, shiny set of silver keys. 

Getting locked out is inevitable at some point in your college career- it happens to everyone. Here are some tips to help you avoid dealing with the unnecessary hassle:

1. Before having a “tears-streaming-down-your-face” meltdown, look for your floor RA or any available RA on duty. If an RA is not around, all hope is not lost. One’s next step would be to reach out to Safety Services to send over a patrolling officer. “If they lose their room key, of course we would verify that [the room] is theirs and we would be able to let them back into their room,” said Safety Services dispatcher Jordan Crayon. After getting back into your dorm room safe and sound, make sure to notify Residence Life and let them know that your room key is misplaced.

2. If he or she loses their student ID, make a quick jog over to Safety Services and pick up a temporary ID in the meantime, which lasts up to three days. If one still cannot find their ID after looking, then don’t worry; new ID’s are available for purchase in the EagleCard office for $10. The EagleCard office is located in the lower part of convo.

3. Do not be afraid to introduce yourself to your RA and ask for help if you need anything. After all, that is what they are here for. “I would recommend [for students] to not be shy with their RA’s; to definitely communicate and familiarize themselves with [one other], “ said Crayon.

Located on the first floor of the Hawkins-Conard Student Center, Safety Services is here to accommodate students in every way possible.

From jump-starting stubborn vehicles, to helping make individuals feel safe by accompanying them back to their place of residence, and more, Safety Services works around the clock to make sure that students are well-provided for and at ease, no matter what time of day.