Phi Kappa Psi hosts luau event

Hannah Predojev

The sky is illuminated with bright twinkling stars and various constellations can be seen. The orange embers from the crackling fire drift swiftly up into the air as the wind begins to increase. Electronic music pumps over the loudspeakers, and multi-colored lights wash over the party. Students are seen sitting around the fire, dancing to the music, and socializing in the fraternity house while talking and casually sipping soda and Hawaiian punch. As the music courses through their veins, students wish the night could last forever.

Complete with a live DJ, colorful Hawaiian shirts, flower leis, an array of delicious barbequed foods, and a cozy fire, the Phi Psi fraternity men hosted a luau for all Ashland University students over the Labor Day weekend.

Freshman Josh Johnston said favorite part of the event was munching on all sorts of mouth-watering foods that the luau had to offer, especially the grilled shish kabobs. He says he really looked forward to having the opportunity to step outside of his comfort zone and meet so many new people while at the event.

“I think it helps to get people drawn out into this environment, which is really important,” Johnston said. “This [event] definitely helps facilitate that.”

Sophomore Kyle Gerber is a member of the Phi Psi fraternity. He acknowledged why the fraternity decided to host this event for students.  

“We wanted to have a social event that everyone on campus could come to, and have a good time and let loose,” Gerber said. “We wanted to show new potential members what it was like, and to show them a little bit of the house.”

Freshman Tim Stone attended the luau with friends and says he really enjoyed the social gathering that brought so many people together.

“I thought it had a great group of brothers; [the house] looked like a [wonderful] place to hang out,” Stone said. “I think this brings people together because everyone likes music and parties, and it a [nice] way to [bond].”

Sophomore Chase Gross said his favorite part of the event was sitting fireside and listening to the music.

“Not being a fraternity [member], it is nice to come out and chill with everyone,” Gross said. “It is different because [this event is] run by students on campus, so it puts a different structure to everything.”

Senior Molly Brys went to the luau with her significant other and says she loved how outgoing and friendly all of the students were.

“I think it is great because there is a lot of Greek Life [members] here, but there is also people who are not [involved],” Brys said. “It is great to get different aspects of the college all around.”

Additionally, she liked that the luau was in a laid-back environment where everyone could relax and get to know each another on a more personal basis.

Alumnus of Alpha Delta Pi Lindsay Weeast, says she felt that it was important to come out and support other members of the Greek Life community.    

“Phi si is a fraternity that is really close to my heart; I love these guys,” Weeast said.

Additionally, she noted that no matter what, the Phi Psi fraternity really wanted all individuals to have fun and feel comfortable.

“Everyone is so accepting; if they see someone by themselves, they will walk up to them and start talking to them,” Weeast said.  

“I thought the turnout was great and there was a lot of people there; it seemed like everyone was having a good time,”  Gerber said.

The Phi Psi fraternity is unsure about whether or not they will host the luau again next year, but they remain hopeful.