CAB hosts food truck festival for AU students

Hannah Predojev

For the second year in a row, the Campus Activities Board hosted a food truck festival for all Ashland University students to enjoy on Founders Lawn.

“Everyone really seemed to like this event when we first did it last year, so why not do it again?” the CAB co-chair of committee A Grace Stockert said.

Last year, the food truck festival was a success among students and featured four trucks, including Charcoal Mafia BBQ and Premiere Crepes.

“It really helped bring people in and it was a great way to start the year off and get people excited about our events,” the CAB co-chair of committee A John Benko said.  

Julianna Hritz, a CAB staff member and the student activities assistant of Student Life, noted why this event is unique.

“It is a really fun time to bring the community together,” Hritz said. “We do not have food trucks here everyday in Ashland, so we have some from Canton, Cleveland, and Columbus. We get to bring foods that are not typically around here to [campus].”

Sophomore Skylar Wilson attended the food truck festival for her first time and was very impressed with the turnout.

“I think they are more likely to get out of their rooms because sustenance is  a social thing,” Wilson said. “This is free food and they do not have to cook it, so [people] are more motivated to come out.”

Freshman Brianna Maynard described what initially caught her eye at this event.

“The idea of making more friends; there are a lot of people here, so it is a good place to meet some new people and bond,” Maynard said. 

Sophomore Nick Bloxsom attended the event for his first time with friends.

“I really like the atmosphere; I feel like everyone is here to just chill out after [going to] classes all day,” Bloxsom said. “It is very mellow.”

Students had a varying selection of food options to choose from, as five different trucks served individuals free samples.

From the Cheesy Truck, Angry Weiner, Sophie’s Pierogi, Popsmith, and Sweet! Mobile Cupcakery, no one left the food truck festival feeling hungry.

Ordering the classic hotdog from the Angry Weiner, sophomore  Jacob Pflugfelder says that it was the best hotdog he has ever had the pleasure of eating.

“I loved it; we got here a little early, so the lines were not too long,” Pflugfelder said.

Senior Grace McCourt was very excited to taste some of the samples while at the food truck festival.

She ordered the pierogies with mustard and chive compound butter, and a raspberry-lemonade cupcake for dessert.

“First, I love free food; second, I love pierogies,” McCourt said. “I normally do not put mustard with pierogies, but it worked really well together. Also, the raspberry frosting on the cupcake was really good.”

Sophomore and CAB member, Caroline Toth, ordered the pepper-jack and bacon grilled cheese with a sour-cherry rose popsicle to satisfy her sweet tooth.

She explained how she feels so fulfilled; ultimately due to having such a wonderful turnout and seeing everyone happy and socializing.

“It is so much fun; just running around and going in different groups and lines and seeing how people are doing,” Toth said. “[CAB] has a lot of great things that we do for students; I would always love to see this many people at our events.”

Hritz believes that with the proper funding and organized planning, CAB will host this event again next year.