These will haunt your soul: festive Halloween movies for the month of Oct.

Beetlejuice (L) and Hocus Pocus (R) are two of the top seven horror movies for the month of Oct. 

Hannah Predojev

Blood, gore, psychopathic killers, a group of reckless teenagers, endless parties, possession, torture, eerie music, and finally, suspense. These are some of the perfect elements that make for an impactful scary movie, which will leave you scared to leave the house and fall asleep at night.

Ever since you made the impulsive decision to watch the very same horror flick your mother told you not to, you have never been the same since. Fear and paranoia has taken over your entire mindset, and it seems as though every time you turn around, someone or something is watching you, always waiting. Here are the top seven horror movies that are sure to send chills down your spine and leave you cowering in fear:

1. The Addams Family (1991)

“They’re creepy and they’re kooky, mysterious and spooky, they’re all together ooky, the Addams Family.” Meet the Addams family, an eccentric but loving family who embraces all kinds of weird. When an imposter poses as the family’s uncle, individuals are taken on a wild ride as the family uncovers the truth behind the man’s true identity.

“It is more comical and family-friendly,” freshman Laramie Roush said. “The Addams Family gives a few moral lessons, with the most obvious one being that it is okay to be different.”

The movie offers tons of Halloween fun, so viewers are sure to enjoy this Halloween classic.

2. Beetlejuice (1988)

After a tragic car accident leaves husband Adam and wife Barbara as ghosts, they haunt their former home in an attempt to get rid of the current owner’s. With the help of a troublesome spirit named Beetlejuice, they soon come to find what they thought they initially wanted quickly turned a little more sinister.

Freshman Trent Jenkins explained what he thought was the most memorable scene in the movie.

“Towards the end of the movie when they were sitting at the table and getting ready to eat, they all started to sing and the ghosts started to take over their bodies,” Jenkins said. “It was really funny to me.”

The movie features goth-inspired costumes, wacky hairdos, and one is sure to see their fair share of dead people roaming around.

3. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

“One, two, Freddy’s coming for you. Three, four, better lock your door. Five, six, grab a crucifix. Seven, eight, gonna stay up late. Nine, ten, never sleep again…” With a severely burnt face, tattered red striped sweater, and iconic razor sharp finger-knife glove, Freddy Krueger poses as one’s worst nightmare.

Created by film director Wes Craven, Krueger terrorizes and slashes dozens of teenagers in their dreams. Whomever he kills while in the dream state will also be affected in reality.

Sophomore Amber Alexander first saw the cult classic at 13-years-old with her dad. She is a huge fan of the ‘horror’ genre and instantly became captivated by Krueger’s frightening demeanor.

“I thought it was very interesting; I like scary movies, so he drew me in,” Alexander said. “He always appeared.”

Remember: don’t go to sleep tonight, or do- Krueger will be visiting you in your dreams.

4. Edward Scissorhands (1990)

A scientist with an imaginative mind created a human being named Edward in a laboratory. With the unfortunate death of the scientist, Edward is left with scissor blades instead of actual hands, which immediately makes him an outcast in the small town of Suburbia.

Taken in by a loving family, Edward falls for the family’s teenage daughter, Kim. With the town initially in a frenzy over this peculiar fellow, a series of haphazard events lead individuals to look deep within themselves and embrace Edward for what he is: special.

“This is probably the scariest movie I have ever watched,” sophomore Monica Torda said. “I remember sitting in my room at night, being freaked out, and not being able to sleep for a couple days.”

This notorious Tim Burton film dives into everything mysterious and bizarre, and features actor Johnny Depp, who plays the sweet, kind, and clumsy Edward Scissorhands. Swoon.

5. Halloween (1978)

In this suspenseful yet chilling thriller, not-so-innocent six-year-old Michael Myers murdered his sister. She was only 17 at the time when he stabbed her to death with a kitchen butcher knife. Following the incident, Myers went to prison for 15 years, but escaped in an effort to seek revenge on those back in his hometown of Haddonfield, Illinois. Specifically, Myers stalked a young woman named Laurie, played by actress Jamie Lee Curtis.

Freshman Cooper Cotterill acknowledged how the film does an impeccable job of scaring individuals in an effort to prepare them for the unnerving holiday itself.

“It ties into the Halloween theme and everything spooky; especially with people dressing up and stuff,” Cotterill said.

The film is the first in the eight-part franchise. Who knew that a simple white mask with cut out eyeholes could be so utterly terrifying?

6. Hocus Pocus (1993)

“I put a spell on you, and now you’re mine” is the ballad that ultimately launched Winifred Sanderson’s singing career. Recently, she won “Witches Got Talent, 2016.” Just kidding. But that would have been neat, right?

Hocus Pocus, a children’s movie about three teenagers living in Salem, Massachusetts who discover the not-so-fun-side of Halloween when they encounter the Sanderson sisters. These are three witches resurrected from the evil lighting of the “black flame candle.” This film will not only make you wish you were a witch or better yet, friends with Billy Butcherson, the friendly zombie, and had Thackery Binx as a talking pet cat during your childhood.

Sophomore Abigail Florian described what really made this family favorite stand out amongst others.

“It really gets you in the Halloween spirit; the kids are going trick-or-treating and the witches have really cool personalities,” Florian said. “It combines a little bit of spookiness with entertainment.”

7. Friday the 13th (1980)

The house is completely pitch-black except for the glare of the TV screen. Curled up on the leather couch with my significant other peeking over the edge of the blankets, Friday the 13th displays on screen. Jason Voorhees appears out of Crystal Lake, dressed in his famous hockey mask carrying a large machete.

“What is this movie about?” I asked, silently hoping that I would not need psychological counseling after witnessing the film. “It is about a young boy named Jason who neglectfully drowned in Camp Crystal Lake. He comes back with a vengeance against camp counselors,” my boyfriend said. As we sit together, more time passes. We see the first victim get stabbed to death. Our huge bowl of buttered popcorn flies into the air, and a girlish screech erupts from my boyfriend. If asked, he would most definitely deny it ever happened.

Freshman Ethan Willis first saw the movie at six-years-old with his mom. He does not classify himself as one ready to take on the challenge of attending haunted houses just yet, but he does enjoy watching the occasional horror flick.

“My favorite part of the movie is the ending; there is always one character who gets away,” Willis said. “No one believes them at the end because [others] think they are crazy.”