Art club is feeling spooky, hosts annual Halloween party for all to enjoy

Hannah Predojev

Tiny black spiders line the walls. A giant table lies in the middle of the gallery, filled with Halloween-inspired treats for those who want to relive their youth for a night, as if one was ten-years-old again, going door-to-door, asking strangers for candy. In the room, a giant skeleton with  punk-rock red and black hair is seen, wearing a long hoodie complete with bones on the front. In one corner, a terrifying clown with razor-sharp teeth dressed in a blood-stained white lab coat is on display. Other skull decorations and even a Snow White figure covered in blood, holding a delicate pink brain is present. Many individuals dressed in costumes ranging from eerie, nostalgic, clever, adorable, and everything in between, infiltrate throughout the room.

On Monday night, the Ashland University art club hosted their annual Halloween bash in the Coburn Art Gallery for all AU students, faculty, and community members to enjoy. At the Halloween party, a variety of foods were served, such as tacos with vegetarian options available, as well as cake and fruit punch.  Additionally, to kick off the activities for the evening, a Mad Lib reading took place, and individuals even had the opportunity to participate in painting pumpkins and a costume contest.

Coburn Gallery director, Cynthia Petry, believes the Halloween party really helps assimilate the student population and allows individuals to build stronger friendships.

Also serving as the main judge for the costume contest, Petry explained that winners were chosen based on “creativity of the character within the costume.”

Junior Maribeth Kilpatrick, one of the various winners of the costume contest, came to the event because of her deep passion for art. As an artist herself since seventh grade and a member of AU’s art club, she draws inspiration from impressionist art and the entire 20th century in her work. 

Dressed as the 21 Pilots character Blurryface in their Holding on to You music video, she explained why she chose to wear this specific costume. 

21 Pilots means a lot to me; they have been a huge influence on my life,” Kilpatrick said. “It opened up my mind; they helped me find myself as an artist and have an epiphany that my art is my own, and that I shouldn’t try to create art for anyone but myself.”

Additionally, Kilpatrick noted how this event helped bond individuals together.

“It definitely shows that the arts are not just solidified to their certain departments; we opened up this party to everyone who wanted to come,” Kilpatrick said. “It’s a good time and everyone is like family.”

Junior Danielle Smith received an Honorable Mention award for “best costume.” Having previously attended the Halloween party, she described a costume she vividly remembers, which involved a girl who dressed as the joker.

Smith thought the costume was memorable because the student “pulled it off well and was very creative.” 

While the Halloween party gave individuals a chance to socialize, eat food, and have fun, Smith believes relationships with peers and professors definitely have the power to exist beyond just the classroom.

“We think it is really important between art club and academics to get everyone together and celebrate,” Smith said.

Junior Keeleigh Myers went to the costume party dressed as the Twilight novel, created by romance novelist Stephenie Meyer, which soon became a popular franchise for teens and young adults in 2008. 

Debuting her Twilight costume for the first time ever, Myers was very excited to show off her ensemble. Winning an Honorable Mention award for “best costume,” she noted that a lot of people have found enjoyment in her creation.

“I love books, and I think it is funny; I had my Twilight phase, I’m sure we all did,” Myers said. “I love ridiculous Halloween costumes and Twilight needs a revival.”  

Junior Rachael Santee dressed as Eliza Thornberry from the hit Nickelodeon’s television show, The Wild Thornberrys, which captivated the young generationin 2004. She perfectly resembled the Thornberry character, as she also has red hair and freckles.

Santee divulged that her costume overall was not hard to put together; as it took her a total of five minutes to organize.

“I remember watching it when I was little and I Googled “red-headed cartoon characters” and then I was like, “oh, I can be Eliza Thornberry, I have a red turtle-neck,” Santee said.

Santee has received nothing but positive reactions from the public, as many thought her costume did a perfect job of transporting them back to childhood.

“A lot of people said that my costume was cute; they liked the braids,” Santee said.

Sophomore Kiana Ziegler considers herself a big Halloween fan; she loves having the opportunity to go all-out, dressing up as someone else during this special time once a year.

Her costume was inspired by her favorite movie, My Neighbor Totoro, a 1988 Japanese animation film about two siblings who embark on a journey through a magical forest. Additionally, she says that another Japanese film called Kiki’s Delivery Service played a role in her decision to wear her costume.

While Ziegler has donned a variety of elaborate costumes throughout the years, she reflected back on some of her favorites.

“Last year, [my boyfriend] and I were Misty and Ash from Pokémon, I have been a pirate, the joker, and I have also been a geisha,” Ziegler said. “I actually had a kimono; I did the face-paint and my hair, and stuff. That is probably my proudest achievement.” 

Senior Anamarie Coors attended the Halloween party for her first time. Dressed as Dipper Pines, a fictional character from the animated series called Gravity Falls on Disney XD, she received an Honorable Mention award for “best costume.”

She explained how she felt after winning the costume contest.

“It was really nice being recognized,” Coors said. “I didn’t even think I was going to win because I wasn’t sure if anyone was going to know who I was, because it is a kids show,” Coors said.

Coors is a big believer in watching cartoons, no matter what age you are. She religiously watches Gravity Falls, and considers it to be one of her all-time favorites.

“It is an absolutely amazing show; it is great,” Coors said. “I’m a nerd; I like cartoons and stuff like that.” 

While this may have been her first time attending the Halloween party, this certainly was not her first time winning a costume contest- as she won for her Beetlejuice ensemble at another Halloween bash a few years ago.

Ultimately, Coors considers the art department a “tight-knit family” and had a blast at her first AU Halloween party.

Ziegler expressed how the AU art club is extremely welcoming and how they thoroughly enjoy putting on unique events for individuals.

“The door is open; people could walk in if they just happen to pass by,” Ziegler said. “Everyone is super friendly; we are a happy bunch.”

While the Halloween party had another successful turnout, the art club is looking forward to hosting this event again next year.