Ashland University women’s golf team chemistry leads them to success 

The team finished fourth at the NCAA Division II East Regional

The Ashland University Women’s Golf Team winds down their 2023-24 season with arguable success as the team finds themselves heading to nationals. 

The team finished fourth at the NCAA Division II East Regional on Wednesday, May 8.  This fourth-place finish advanced the team to compete for a Division II national title alongside 18 other teams. 

Junior Emma Conway contributed to the team’s success by being Ashland’s low player of the week and tying for 11th place individually; however, she doesn’t contribute to her success to only herself. 

“I am definitely proud of the way I played those first two days of regionals,” Conway said.  “However, it’s really my team that pushes me to be a better player. This team has so much depth and they are all such incredible players and people, they push me to be a better golfer. 

Head Women’s Golf Coach Bill Pollock comments on the chemistry of the team as well which contributes to their success. 

“This group works very hard, and they have the desire to be their best version,” Head Coach Pollock said.  “It is a group that is extremely close, and that chemistry has carried us all spring.” 

Outside of Conway, Sophomore Klaira Paramore also made notable success in regional.  She went into regionals focused on the process rather than placing. 

“I try to focus more on my process while playing over results,” Paramore said.  “So going into the tournament I was not focused on what place I wanted to get, but to top 20 in a field of such high caliber players was cool.” 

Despite her lack of focus on placement, she found success in regionals placing 19th.   

After finding success in regionals, the Eagles found their way to nationals with six players:  Freshman Riley McKenzie, LeeAnn Harker, Sophomore Klaira Paramore, Junior Grace Grant, Emma Conway, and recent graduate Mailiis Simovart. 

Going into national play, Pollock finds that the team has been preparing for this all season. 

“We have them working a lot on their mental approach and having them prepared with the course layout ahead of time.,” Head Coach Pollock said.  “The Championship stage should not be too big for them as our Spring schedule has prepared them for the talent level at Nationals.” 

The team played in the 2024 NCAA Division II Championships at the Orange County National Gold Center and Lodge in Winter Garden Florida on Thursday, May 23. 

The team finished 17th in the country which makes it their best finish since 2015 when the team placed ninth. 

Team placings are as follows:  Freshman Riley McKenzie tying 59th; Junior Grace Grant tying 73rd; Freshman LeeAnn Harker tying 83rd; Junior Emma Conway tying 87th place; and Sophomore Klaira Paramore tying 90th place. 

After finishing an arguably successful season, the team finds it always comes back to the chemistry that carries them to success. 

“It is a group that is extremely close, and that chemistry has carried us all spring,” Pollock said.