Eagle men squeak out 79-78 win over Cedarville

The Eagles improve their win streak to seven games

Jacob Hoffman

Eagle freshman Simon Wheeler drives to the hoop.

Cade Cracas, Sports & Digital Editor

The Ashland University men’s basketball continued to showcase its stellar play as they came into their contest against the Cedarville Yellowjackets with a six-game win streak under their belt.

In what was expected to be a competitive matchup against two top teams in the Great Midwest Athletic Conference, neither disappointed.

The first half of play saw an impressive Eagle offense find its rhythm early with rotational piece Maceo Williams dominating inside the paint. He finished the first half with 12 points and three offensive rebounds.

The team shot 41 percent from the field and 25 percent from the three-point range. They also lead the game in rebounds with 21, outrebounding the Yellowjackets by five.

The Yellowjackets were led by star forward Jacob Drees who recorded eight points, nine rebounds, three steals and two blocks in the first half of play.

At one point in time, the Yellowjackets led by 10, with the Eagles clawing their way back into it.

Heading into halftime, both teams left it all on the line and needed to regain rest in time for the second half.

That would be the case as the second half, just like the first, did not disappoint with both teams showcasing an aggressive playstyle.

The second half went back and fourth with the Eagles outscoring the Yellowjackets, 69-68 to finish the contest, and Williams contributed to 21 of those points.

The game came down to the wire with both teams making mistakes. Drees would overthrow his intended target of Jayvon Maughmer with 20 seconds left and would turn the ball over. The Eagles would then take over possession and unfrutnaly not get their one and one to go at the free throw line, breathing new life into the Yellowjackets once more.

Now with 16 seconds left the Yellowjackets worked their way towards the rim and Maughmer would take a shot from the lower left block heavily contested, and he would miss.

The Eagles would improve to 9-4 on the season and 5-1 in conference play. They currently sit third in the conference standings. On the other side, the Yellowjackets fall to 10-4 and 3-3 in conference play.

They now travel to take on the Northwood Timberwolves on Saturday, Jan. 7, with tipoff set for 3 P.M.