AU STUNT season comes to a close in national tournament

Eagles finish the season with an overall record of 13-6

Jacob Hoffman

The Ashland University STUNT team poses for a photo at the national tournament in Dallas.

Cade Cracas, Sports & Digital Editor

The Ashland University STUNT team’s season has officially come to a close after two games in the national tournament in Dallas at the University of Texas-Dallas.

The Eagles took on Dallas Baptist University (DBU) in the loser’s bracket opening round, ultimately falling 23-3 when all was said and done.

In the opening round of the national tournament, the Eagles took on Concordia Irvine where they lost 20-4. The Eagles were scoreless through the opening two quarters, but bounced back in quarter three with jumps and tumbling, securing three points. However, Concordia Irvine overpowered them and ran away in the fourth quarter with 12 points in the 16-point victory.

The next day the Eagles would take on DBU who came into the postseason with an overall record of 7-2. In their opening round contest, they fell to Maryville, Oklahoma Baptist University by a score of 23-3.

Against DBU the Eagles once again struggled, falling 23-3. The Eagles were able to find points in quarters two and three, showing consistency in quarters they’ve continued to thrive in this season.

The loss knocked them out of the national tournament, sending them home after two games.

The team finished the season with an overall record of 13-6 and a Great Midwest Athletic Conference championship underneath the Eagles’ belts. The team also took home GMAC Coach of the Year, Player of the Year and Freshman of the Year.

The Eagles were ranked as one of the top teams in the country multiple times in the STUNT the Sport Division-II polls, finishing the season as the No. 3 ranked team heading into the national tournament.

They now look to the 2023-24 season to further grow the program.