Eagle baseball takes down Cavaliers in three-of-four games

The Eagles currently sit in second in the conference table

Ashland Athletics

The Eagle dugout looks on during a contest at home.

Stephen Struckmann, Reporter

Coming into one of the toughest weeks of the season, the Eagles were on a high note, sweeping their first series of the year against the Malone Pioneers. The Eagles took on a ranked opponent in the Wayne State Warriors, and a top team in the Great Midwest Athletic Conference, the Walsh Cavaliers. 

The Eagles won three of four games in the series against the Cavaliers and lost in extra innings to the Warriors.

The Warriors came out at that time as the 12th ranked team in the nation, sporting a record of 24-4, but didn’t exactly play like it to start the game. Eagles pitcher Matt Hall dominated through the first six innings, allowing only four hits and striking out 6 in his performance. 

Unfortunately for the Eagles, late-game heroics pushed the game into extra innings for the Eagles and they were unable to pull away for the win.   

The Eagles then had to reset quickly, taking on the Walsh Cavaliers on the weekend where they won three of their four games over the course of the series. 

The Eagle offense wasn’t as potent as they’ve been accustomed to, but the pitching picked up the slack, giving up three runs through the weekend’s first three games, including shutting the Cavaliers out on Saturday. 

When the offense was firing, it came from Shortstop Jeremiah Cangelosi, who has continued to work in the batting cages to help with his offensive uptick.

“To be prepared for these games, hitting in the cage as well as batting practice are huge. My teammates push me as well to get better every day,” he said.

Cangelosi is currently tied on the team for the most home runs and is second on the team in terms of average among qualified hitters. The transfer from Triton Community College, finds himself right at home with his teammates, despite only being here for one season.

“The guys returning made all of us newbies feel right at home from day one. We have a great group of guys that makes me feel right at home,” said the sophomore shortstop.

The Eagles find themselves with another tough week of baseball, with a rematch against the Wayne State Warriors on Tuesday, followed by the GMAC leaders, the Northwood Timberwolves.