Student Senate discusses hard liquor policy, pricing increase amidst budget

Abigail Hassenzahl

Lennon greeting everyone at student senate

Ashland University Student Senate discussed a “slight” change to the hard liquor policy on campus and pricing increases in student dining, in addition to the ongoing budget deficit.

During the last meeting of January on Tuesday, senators discussed the upcoming changes to the hard liquor policy, as expressed by the Office of Residence Life.

“Adjustments to the policy mainly concerned residents of the senior apartments and the College of Nursing who are over the age of 21,” said Residence Life Representative Bryce Shafer.

Shafer clarified that the application would look “relatively the same” with some adjustments and clarifications in the policy. The application will only be made available to those who qualify.

Additionally, Zack Scher, officer of finance and facilities, addressed general student and campus concerns, including icy sidewalks, parking lot potholes, campus lighting and accessibility.

Scher also addressed questions concerning meal plans, stating, “[services are] in the process of looking at and going through different meal plan options.”

Regarding student dining and the rising prices at the Eagle’s Nest and another on-campus dining, he said, “Prices have gone up as labor has gone down.”

“Prices are going up, just in general, everywhere,” he added.

Even with budget concerns, dorm refreshes for Kem and Amstutz halls are planned, according to Scher, with facilities requesting student input. The USA House in the Fraternity Circle is also planned to have a refresh.

“I will say, the budget is tight, of course,” Scher said.

With the budget in mind, Student Senate President Tiffany Sims addressed the issues brought up during the Board of Trustees meetings on Jan. 26-27.

“From what I’ve seen, there is confusion about what donor funds are used for, what they can be used for, as well as the endowment,” Sims said in her report.

Sims pushed for more student awareness and understanding concerning donor funding, emphasizing Ashland Day of Giving and the Ashland Fund, which could provide budget relief.

To provide more information, Sims invited Mark Libs, director of Annual Giving, to speak on the topic of donor funds at the next Student Senate meeting.

Freshman Alexa Bibik was also sworn in as international student life representative.

Other items addressed by Student Senate:

According to John Miller, vice president of Student Senate, the university reported a 90% retention rate.

Senators brought up issues with internet connection on campus.

According to Sims, none of the 14 positions let go due to budget cuts were faculty members.

Senior President Mark Biltz addressed the continued work on the senior photo wall and student reception to a time capsule.

Lennon, the doggy senator, concluded Tuesday’s meeting with a bathroom break.

Student Senate meets every Tuesday at 9:30 p.m. in the conference rooms of the Hawkins-Conard Student Center.