Eagle women’s lacrosse prepares for 2022-2023 season

The Eagles look to improve their 6-11 record from the previous season

Gage Eldridge, Reporter

The Ashland University women’s lacrosse team will be swinging back into action Feb. 18 against West Virginia Wesleyan on the road in their first non conference game.

The Eagles are coming off of a record of 6-11 from the 2022 season. 5 of the wins coming off of conference play. The eagle lacrosse team plans on having a better season. 

Our team goal this season is to win the GMAC. It’s a big goal, but with the addition of the incoming players we know it’s reachable” said fifth year Nataile Sonntag.

Losing 3 seniors after the last season the team has had an increase of players this offseason. This will be a young squad this season with 12 Freshman on the team. Star players Natalie Sonntag and Cassady Becker are amongst the players returning for another go for the GMAC title. The two leaders have taken the freshman under their wings this season. 

It feels great to have that impact on my team and these younger players spreading the knowledge that I have to help us collectively come together is something that I’ve really enjoyed doing. This season will be something special if I’m being quite honest I think we’re in a perfect position to have a winning season” Said Becker. 

Head coach Lauren Simko has been very impressed with her team in the preseason. “The Pre-season has been good so far. The players have shown up every day focused and ready to grind. The energy has been high. They are ready to make their mark in the GMAC” said Simko.

Becker and Sonntag are looking to have another breakout season.

Personally, my goal is to break 100 draw controls for the season. Last season myself and Cassady Becker were both just shy of 100” said Sonntag. 

As far as goals go the team hopes to win the GMAC this year and with the depth of the team they certainly can accomplish this goal.

“It’s a long season, and it’s important they stay mentally prepared for each game. We talked before the season about what we want to accomplish and the length of the season. If we can stay on track, stay healthy, and stay focused, I think that we will surprise everyone in the GMAC” said Simko. 

With high hopes for the season the Ashland women’s lacrosse team hopes to stun the competition in the GMAC. With such a deep squad the sky’s the limit for this team.