AU women’s soccer moves on to GMAC title match with 2-0 win

Eagles defeat Walsh Cavaliers in semi-finals

Jacob Hoffman

The Eagles improve to 14-3-2 overall on the season as they close out GMAC play against the Cedarville Yellowjackets on Saturday.

Cade Cracas, Sports & Digital Editor

The Ashland Univesity women’s soccer team downed the Walsh Cavaliers 2-0 in the semi-finals of the 2022 Great Midwest Athletic Conference post-season tournament.

With the victory, the Eagles now look to Saturday, Nov. 5, where they take on an opponent yet to be determined in the GMAC title match where they look to go back-to-back conference champions.

On Nov. 3, the Eagles took on the Cavaliers and with the first half looking very competitive between the two squads, the second half is where the Eagles separated the good from the great.

In the first half, the Eagles outshot the Cavaliers 4-3 but were primarily on the offensive attack.

A total of 11 fouls were committed with eight of them being against the Cavaliers.

With composure, the Eagles entered halftime looking to separate themselves and pull ahead.

In the 59th minute, just roughly 14 minutes into the second half, freshman forward Dani Hicks found her first collegiate postseason goal with a shot into the lower right corner that found the back of the net.

With a nice ball from veteran forward Bailey Clark, the Eagles took the 1-0 lead. The pass from Clark to Hicks gave a “passing of the torch” moment from veteran to freshman.

Just 12 minutes later in the 71st minute, sophomore standout McKinley Mendenhall found the second goal after an assist from Hicks.

Alongside the standout offense, goalkeeper Bri Rogers recorded another clean sheet, her 10th of the season.

As the GMAC title game approaches on Saturday, Nov. 5 at 4:30 p.m., the Eagles will continue to showcase their stellar play in hopes of getting a bid in the NCAA Division II post-season tournament.14-3-2