AU gets new 5G Credentials program

Submitted

5G Readiness training is available at AU

This year, Ashland University is excited to announce the new 5G Credentials program through eAshland and is only one of two schools in the entire state to offer this certification program.

5G is the internet and the ability to run the internet at a faster speed.

“But in short, when we’re talking about 5G, we’re talking about the internet of things, the ability to run the Internet,” said Shawn Orr, dean of eAshland. “So, like where most of us are familiar with like 3G phones or my phone is a 4G and it doesn’t download a lot or it is slow, so 5G is just the level of the type of internet that you have.”

The 5G credential program is a big addition to AU since there is a high job and market demand for 5G training. According to an article from Connected Real Estate Magazine, 5G will create 3 million jobs and add $500 billion to the US economy.

AU decided to get this program originally because of its mission to create graduates who will work, serve and lead with integrity in their communities. The state of Ohio also came to AU and said that there is a huge need for 5G training and credentials since Intel is coming into Columbus.

The 5G credentials program is a little different than most credentials since it is broken down into four credentials, but within each of those credentials, there are “micro credentials.”

When going through the credential process, no one must complete the full credential, but can receive a micro credential since they build upon one another.

This opportunity is available to all AU students, which most can receive for free by filling out the IMAP grant application.

“Although it is a non-credit certification, it would definitely add great value to most degree programs,” said Stephanie Donofe-Meeks, director of workforce training and development. “Four micro credentials can be earned in a month each, and you do not have to do them all, but if you do, it leads to an industry recognized 5G Readiness Certificate. AU students who are unemployed, partially unemployed or at a low income level as defined by the state of Ohio can take the courses at no cost from an IMAP grant.”

Orr highly recommends that every student at AU should at least take the first micro credential, which is Wireless 101, so students can have a good understanding of what 5G is and how it impacts jobs.

The next upcoming cycle to register is from Nov. 1 to Dec. 2.

To register for 5G training, contact Stephanie Donofe-Meeks at [email protected].

Student can also register at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdo71nVdVn4MmPcY3rF6XXQfKSnC3IpkvR6KSkopC29oUVIPw/viewform