AU continues GMAC POTW awards in Week Seven

Eagles honored for their talents

Eagles honored in GMAC Player of the Week awards once again.

Ethan Jenkins, Reporter

In now 6 out of the 7 weeks of the fall season, Ashland University has been honored with multiple GMAC player of the week awards. This weeks winners all come from the Women’s athletic programs. 

At Ferguson Field, women’s soccer sophomore forward McKinley Mendenhall took home offensive player of the week, along with senior goalkeeper Bri Rogers taking home defensive player of the week.

For 3 straight weeks Mendenhall and Rogers have swept the conference awards for the Eagles.

Mendenhall showed her offensive skill set yet again this week posting 3 goals this past week in victories vs the Malone Pioneers and Lake Erie Storm.

Aiding those wins was goalkeeper Bri Rogers, making one save in each victory, and shutting out both opposing offenses she faced. Rogers now has extended her shut out streak to 5 games as the late season is quickly approaching.

The Ashland women will next host Malone who is 1-7-3 this season on Thursday (Oct. 13) with kickoff at 6:30 p.m. from Ferguson Field.

Moving over to Kates Gynamsium, senior defensive specialist Stephanie Smith took home the defensive player of the week. Smith when facing two top GMAC conference opponents, Findlay and Hillsdale, posted 29 digs combined in the two matches this week. Smith’s work helped AU keep the two opponents to a combined team hitting percentage of .164.

The team with two wins this week, is now on a 13 game win streak and looks to ride their momentum into the Midwest Region Crossover on Friday and Saturday (Oct. 14-15) in Hammond, Ind.