Ashland swim is diving into reading

Emma Ramsey

In the upcoming weeks, the Ashland University Swim and Dive Team is taking part in a unique community service project: reading to elementary school students.

With the restrictions of COVID-19 causing a temporary standstill of community service, there has been a cause for a disconnect between members of the community and students at Ashland University. Now that the restrictions are starting to be lifted, the ability to serve the community is back. Ashland’s swim and dive team is one group that has started to get involved.

Over the next few weeks, members of the team will be reading to the students in the class of a former Ashland student and swimmer at Crestview Elementary School.

According to head coach Kyle Walthall, this idea was brought about by members of the team.

“I was approached by a couple of members on our team who had come up with this idea,” Walthall said, “It was all their idea. I’m just the person that was able to say yes to them.”

Currently, there are 24 members of the team signed up for the event, filling all of the available spots. This means that a large amount of the team will be able to participate in the event.

“I thought it was a phenomenal way for us to help out the community.” Walthall said, “It’s also about trying to increase not only Ashland’s, but specifically Ashland Swim and Dive’s presence in the community.”

Between the importance of reading to young students and also being able to interact with the community on a deeper level, this community service event is one that Walthall hopes will continue to last.

“I would love for us to continue to be involved with it. Especially with any AU alum and swimmers.” said Walthall, “I love to see where our athletes have gone and the things that they’re doing.”

Walthall also hopes that the team will be able to not just provide the students with a positive experience, but the team too.

“I hope that they kind of get a chance to feel that good feeling you get when you get to help people out.” Walthall said. “Because right now everybody’s having a tough time. So right now, any bit of brightness is a beautiful thing for us to have, and I’m really excited to see how they can bring joy and kind of get some joy out of this as well.”

Members of the swim team will give back to the community. (SUBMITTED BY: BEN VOELKER)