Vance appears as extra in new film

Vance+is+set+to+appear+as+an+extra+in+a+new+movie+starring+Tom+Holland+

Submitted by: Jack Vance

Vance is set to appear as an extra in a new movie starring Tom Holland

Sean Repuyan, Design Editor

The newly released film, “Cherry,” starring Tom Holland and Ciara Bravo, features a familiar face from Ashland University’s campus and the Journalism and Digital Media Department. 

Sophomore Digital Media Production major Jack Vance got the opportunity to play an extra in the new semi-autobiographical film, which was based on Nico Walker’s novel of the same name.

The film is centered around the character Cherry, played by Holland, who suffers from PTSD after serving as an army medic in Iraq, and later becomes addicted to heroin and commits a series of bank robberies. Directed by Joe and Anthony Russo, “Cherry” was mostly filmed in Cleveland and the surrounding area back in October 2019 through January 2020.

Vance describes his time on set as an “irreplaceable experience,” saying that the collaboration between the cast and crew as well as the experience of being on a professional movie set was truly remarkable and an opportunity he would definitely take again. 

“I am not much of an actor myself, but I’ve had an interest in film and studio production for a while,” Vance said. “Being on set, the experience was interesting, and I was not prepared for how professional yet relaxed it would be. The set itself was extremely calculated and everything was planned down to every minute and even second. I want to continue to pursue offers and other opportunities just like this.”

According to Vance, he gained the opportunity from signing up to receive emails from the casting company, Angela Boehm Castings for new movies, commercials or short films in the Cleveland area. To be an extra, Vance said he did not have to audition for the part, but he did have to send in demographic details and characteristics about himself, as well as provide his schedule and headshots to the company. 

Vance’s on-screen moment shows him wearing a tan coat and walking past an elevator. Even though this moment in the scene is just a few seconds, Vance took invaluable knowledge with him off-screen. 

Although this was Vance’s first time being on a professional movie set, it was not his first time being in front of a camera. 

“It was definitely a learning experience, but I will take what I learned on the production side of things and continue to make videos of my own on YouTube,” Vance said. 

On his YouTube channel, Vance focuses more on comedic and satirical videos, creating short films, skits and on-the-street sketches talking to students on Ashland’s campus.

“Just like the crew on the set, I want to take the time to produce my videos in the best way that I can, with the goal of making every video unique and better than the last,” he said.