OP-ED: Dear Students of Ashland University

Dear Students of Ashland University,

As faculty and staff, we are disheartened to learn about recent events related to the Clothesline Project and, more broadly, the way that sexual assault claims have been handled on campus.

We want you to know that we hear you, we believe you, and we too demand change.

We affirm your right to be safe from all forms of sexual violence at all times. We want you to have meaningful recourse when that safety is threatened or violated.

We affirm that all forms of sexual assault are unacceptable and must be taken seriously.

We see clearly that our faculty, staff, and administration have a significant role to play in addressing and responding to campus sexual assault.

We recognize the need for victim-centered, trauma-informed responses to incidences of sexual assault on campus.

We promise to work diligently with University administration, faculty, and staff to improve upon our collective and individual responses to reports of sexual violence on campus.

To any student who has been affected by sexual violence: We care about you. You deserve to receive care from qualified professionals. We encourage you to seek support.

In Ashland, Safe Haven (www.safehavenofashland.org) can help you. They have a 24/7 Crisis Hotline: 419-289-8085.

RAINN (Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network) created and operates the National Sexual Assault Hotline, available by phone at 800.656.HOPE (4673) and through an online chat-based platform (online.rainn.org). They offer 24/7 confidential support services to survivors across the country.

RAINN also offers many suggestions and opportunities for student support and activism (www.rainn.org/student-activism) on campus and in your community.

Sincerely,

Judy Alston
Michael Bird
Diane Bonfiglio
Soren Brauner
Carlos Campo
Megan Connor
Perry Corbin
Rebecca Corbin
Alisha Dennis-Brinson
Sue Dickson
Allyson Drinkard
Teresa Durbin-Ames
Allison Gourniak
Maura Grady
Jennifer Groman
Kerri Hanna
Paul Hyman
Rosaire Ifedi
Nicholas Johnson
Emma Kulbis
Sharon Lowe
Peter Mallik
Rodney Michael
Sharleen Mondal
Cynthia Petry
Margaret Pomfret
Robert Pool
Mason Posner
Deleasa Randall-Griffiths
Rene Rawraway
Mark Rubin
Patricia Saunders
Christopher Swanson
Andrew Trimble
Nancy Udolph
Michael Vimont
Kyle Vaughn
Wendy Wasnich
Jeffrey Weidenhamer